Beignets are donut-like fried dough balls that are dusted with powdered sugar. My love affair with beignets (sometimes misspelled as benyas) started with a Disney audio story.
It was about a beautiful girl who made legendary beignets in New Orleans. Little G would always ask me what is a beignet? This is my first attempt in homemade beignets and I passed with flying colors!
I did some research on beignets recipe. Most recipe yeilds a dense and doughnut-like texture, with yeast involved. I opted for this beignet recipe made from choux pastry.
- 1 cup water 8 fl oz, 240 ml
- 1 stick 4 oz unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Large pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Place water, butter, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Stir until butter is melted and everything comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add flour into the mixture, stir to combine well with the butter mixture. Continue to stir and cook until the dough pulls away from the sides and starts to form into a ball, about 1 minute. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the dough with the eggs, start with one egg until the egg is completely incorporated into the dough. Add the rest of the eggs, one at a time. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for one hour. After chilling, shape the dough into small balls using a teaspoon or 1/2 tablespoon. Arrange the dough balls on a plate lined with parchment paper.
for full recipes please see : rasamalaysia.com