We are often asked what we pack for lunch. Portable and easy meals, like the classic tuna salad sandwich, are an essential for folks heading off to school or work for the day. This chickpea vegan tuna salad is an easy, satisfying and delicious vegan alternative to the usual non-vegan sandwich fillers.
Enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans, it is also much more affordable than tuna or chicken salad. A bonus for those “on-the-go” is sandwiches with Better Than Tuna chickpea salad can be unrefrigerated without fears about food born illnesses associated with unrefrigerated meats. Because it has a longer shelf life (in the fridge), it can be available for a weeks worth of lunches if prepared ahead. In our house, it never lasts that long!
This vegan tuna salad has been a go-to meal option in the Full of Beans household for quite a while. We have found that it doesn’t need to be restricted to sandwiches! It is wonderful as a topping for a plate of greens, on a rice cake, or straight out of the container with a fork!
- (2) 15oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 shredded carrot
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- Just Mayo or alternative vegan mayonaise, approximately 1/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- optional: extras like mustard, dill, etc
- Roughly mash the chickpeas in a medium size bowl. I like to leave some chunks of the peas in the mash.
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, salt and pepper and mix well with a fork
- Add mayo to desired texture of creaminess (I find tastes really vary in this regard)
for full recipes please see : www.fullofbeans.us