Like a cross between a cheeseburger and a lasagna, this comforting keto casserole has ground beef, broccoli, tomato sauce, and cheddar cheese. It’s great for anyone looking for a comforting and easy-to-make low carb dinner.
This casserole is soft and tender, with a rich and cheesy tomato meat sauce and juicy bites of broccoli. There are occasional crisp bites of diced celery. Seasonings are kept simple — just salt, garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne.
Its recipe development is inspired by my other baked dishes, like tuna casserole and chicken bacon ranch casserole. This is basically a medley of some of my favorite casserole ingredients.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped, 1 1/4 ounces
- 4 ounce FRESH mushrooms
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the ground beef, onion and mushrooms in a medium skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Drain the fat. Meanwhile, put the frozen broccoli in a 2 1/2-3 quart casserole with a lid. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover and microwave on HIGH about 6-8 minutes, stirring every couple minutes until tender crisp. Drain the broccoli; stir in ground beef mixture. In a 4-cup glass measure place all of the sauce ingredients, microwave on HIGH about 2 1/2 minutes, or until melted and smooth, stirring every minute. Add to the broccoli mixture and mix well; adjust the seasoning to taste. Bake at 350º 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.