This Creamy Garlic Herb Mushroom Spaghetti is total comfort food! Simple ingredients, ready in about 30 minutes. Vegetarian.
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta (spaghetti, linguine, etc.) – I like DeLallo brand
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- additional 1/4 cup water, broth, milk or cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (more to taste)
- Pasta: Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside and toss with a little oil to prevent sticking.
- Mushrooms: Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add one clove of the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown and softened. Set aside.
- Sauce: Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt again over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the flour and herbes de provence. Stir fry for a minute to cook out the flour taste. Add the milk slowly, whisking to incorporate. Let the mixture simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.