These lil’ “ice cream” cups are a fun, simple project to make with YOUR monkeys all Summer long! Allowing children to help with the creation of a snack or meal, usually increases their interest in eating it too! Happy sun emoji🍌monkey emoji
Have your picky eater help you to make healthy meals/snacks and one day…they just might come around…Heart emoji
It has been really hot here recently and I have found myself buying bananas every couple of days. They seem to ripen in minutes rather than days in this weather, and since the boys eat one daily, pretty much, we need a steady supply.
Now and then we have too many before they become too ripe so I slice them up and freeze them. Sometimes I use them for smoothies, like my mango and dragon fruit smoothie bowl, but they’re also perfect for treats like this peanut butter banana ice cream.
I’ve had banana ice cream on my list of things to try forever. Well, for a really long time at least. I remember all of last summer I kept saying I must get round to making some but it never quite happened. And of course like so many things now I’ve made it, I can’t understand why it took so long.
I guess technically it’s not ice cream as there is no ‘cream’ in there, but it’s still definitely creamy Banana ice cream is one of those things that became trendy as a healthy, vegan alternative to ice cream. You can just make it with plain frozen bananas, but I think it’s better with a couple of additions. Peanut butter and chocolate are natural matches and go really well, but feel free to experiment with other additions. I know I will be.
- 2 bananas chopped and frozen
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- Peel the bananas and cut them into small pieces.
- Freeze them for 1 or 2 hours on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Put the frozen bananas into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- When the mixture is smooth, add the cocoa powder and blend until incorporated.
- For a soft ice cream, serve immediately.
- For a firm chocolate banana ice cream, transfer it back to the freezer for at least an hour.