These keto tamales taste as authentic and flavorful as the originals, with tender shreds of meat, gooey cheese, and a mouthwatering masa!
Keto tamales take me back to childhood Christmases, when I would often come home to find my mom and her friends gathered at a table making tamales. Now that I have my own kids, this recipe is the perfect way to keep the family tradition alive without having to avoid my all-time favorite holiday food.
As a kid, I enjoyed eating tamales more than making them… but these keto tamales take relatively little time and effort, thanks to our Instant Pot. My wife, a Polish Italian, will never have to know the hours of labor it takes to make a high-quality tamale.
To be fair, these keto tamales still take time. However, they are so worth the wait because they eliminate all the problematic ingredients of conventional recipes:
- 8-12 dried corn husks (find them here), plus 2 more for tying
- 2.5 pounds boneless pork shoulder steaks
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups fine almond flour (here’s the brand we used)
- 1/2 cup ground flax meal (here’s a good brand)
- 1 cup bacon fat
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large heat-safe container, add corn husks and pour hot water over the top until they are completely covered. Weigh them down with a bowl or plate to keep them submerged. Soak for 30 minutes.
- In your Instant Pot, add 2 cups of the water and all spices (use only 1 teaspoon of salt). Stir to combine, then add pork. Lock the lid in place, set the valve to sealing, and set your pot to pressure cook at high pressure for 45 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally (about 15 more minutes).
- Boil remaining water. While water reaches a boil, add bacon fat to a mixing bowl. Pour boiling water over the top to soften and melt the fat, stirring so it melts completely. Add almond flour, flax, and remaining salt to the mix and stir well until a paste forms. Set aside.
for full recipes please see : www.ketofamily.net