I recently have started the ketogenic diet which means eating almost no carbs (20g a day) and I came across this cheesy bread recipe that uses very little carbs. Thanks to Beth LeDonne for sharing with me. You will not be disappointed!
If you are new here, you may have stumbled upon Fat Head dough recipe. It is sometimes referred to as mozzarella cheese dough.
This famous low-carb dough is known as Fat Head dough becuase of Tom Naughton, the creator of Fat Head, the movie. It’s a comedy-documentary that explains how low cholesterol is unhealthy, saturated fat does not cause heart disease but instead sugars, grains, starches and processed vegetable oils do. You can read more about Tom Naughton and Fat Head here.
The great thing about this cheesy keto garlic bread recipe using Fat Head dough, is that there’s absolutely no grain or wheat at all.
Yes, this low-carb garlic bread is naturally gluten free without using all those horrid ultra processed gluten-free flours out there (and they cost a small fortune). If you are unsure of the difference between gluten free and grain free, you may wish to read this article.
And remember this, gluten-free junk is still junk.
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (85 g)
- 2 oz cream cheese (55 g)
- ⅓ cup almond flour, or coconut flour (35 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (50 g)
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- Melt mozzarella and cream cheese together in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds, or until fully melted.
- Combine almond (or coconut) flour, baking powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and egg. Mix well, then stir in the melted mozzarella until fully incorporated. Stir in cheddar, then shape into a ball, cover, and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Dust a cutting board with a handful of almond (or coconut) flour. Cut dough into 4 even pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Cut each ball in half and place cut side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Assemble with desired sandwich toppings.