Reason #153 I Love You Guys: these overnight strawberry cream cheese sweet rolls. Believe me when I say, this incredible version may not have come into existence if not for one of you.
Remember the cinnamon and sugar sweet rolls I posted a few months ago? I hope you’ve made them. They are divine. So light and flaky and amazing.
They are perfect for holiday mornings or when company is in town or just for a delicious Saturday morning breakfast.
The huge advantage of these rolls is that the dough is made the day before, so come morning, all you have to do is shape them and bake them (and I’ve even included notes in the recipe how to adapt the process so baking is all that stands between you and warm sweet rolls in the morning).
I make the cinnamon and sugar version all the time.
And even though I feel like I’m kind of creative in the kitchen sometimes, it never really crossed my mind to change the rolls up at all until Jessica, who obviously believes sharing is caring, emailed me to tell me about her cream cheese version that she made and served for company – apparently they were ridiculously amazing, and I believe it.
I kind of sat there after reading her email, jaw hanging open, thinking (you know what’s coming): how on earth did I not think of this?
- 4 1/2 cups (22.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/3 cup (2.5 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs (7 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cup hot water
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) powdered sugar
- Zest of a lemon (about a teaspoon)
- 1 to 2 cups strawberry jam, depending on how jammy you want them
- 1 cup (4 ounces) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
- Splash of vanilla extract
for instructions please see: www.melskitchencafe.com