Show your loved ones how much you care about them this Valentine’s Day with this decadent yet simple to make Raspberry Chocolate Swiss Roll.
Have you ever made a swiss roll cake? Looks kinda tricky, huh? Well, it’s actually quite easy! Now, you can’t just take a regular cake recipe and roll it up. It’s gotta be a sponge cake.
How is a sponge cake different than a regular ole cake? It’s primarily made up of flour, sugar, and eggs. There’s NO butter or oil! This composition helps the cake hold together well and not crumble when rolling. And surprisingly, it’s still moist!
After you make the batter for this cake you pour it into a large jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. It only takes about 14 minutes to cook. After it’s done you immediately turn the cake out onto a towel heavily coated in powdered sugar (this is so it doesn’t stick). Then you roll the cake up in the towel, starting at the short side. Let it cool completely and then you unroll it and spread the amazing raspberry cream filling on.
FOR THE BATTER:
- 4 eggs divided
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/2 cup freeze dried raspberries 1/2 ounce
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
FOR THE GANACHE:
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 6 ounce container fresh raspberries
- avatarFollow Spend with Pennies on Pinterest
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 if using a dark pan). Line a 10×15 inch jell roll pan with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat egg whites until soft peaks (peaks fall when you lift the beaters). While mixing, slowly add in the 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks on medium speed for 3 minutes, add the 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla and beat 2 more minutes.
for full instruction please see : www.spendwithpennies.com